George Conway is pictured. | Getty
Asked if the tweet from the unverified account was his — Monday was the first time the account had tweeted since 2015 — George Conway told POLITICO: “Yes. My tweet.” | Getty

George Conway, the husband of White House adviser Kellyanne Conway who was under consideration for multiple positions in President Donald Trump’s administration, mocked the president on Monday for targeting his own Justice Department.

In a series of tweets, Trump rebuffed his top aides and other administration officials, who had insisted that the administration’s executive order suspending visa issuance from six majority-Muslim countries was not a travel ban.

“People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!” Trump tweeted Monday morning.

“The Justice Dept. should have stayed with the original Travel Ban, not the watered down, politically correct version they submitted to S.C.” the president added. “The Justice Dept. should ask for an expedited hearing of the watered down Travel Ban before the Supreme Court – & seek much tougher version!”

Conway derided Trump’s tweets, criticizing the president in a post that concluded with his trademark “Sad.”

“These tweets may make some ppl feel better, but they certainly won’t help OSG get 5 votes in SCOTUS, which is what actually matters. Sad,” Conway wrote, referring to the Office of the Solicitor General, which argues before the Supreme Court on behalf of the Trump administration.

Conway, a partner at the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, was a candidate for the solicitor general post and the front-runner to head DOJ’s Civil Division until he withdrew his name from consideration last week.

Asked if the tweet from the unverified account was his — Monday was the first time the account had tweeted since 2015 — Conway told POLITICO: “Yes. My tweet.”

In a statement announcing his withdrawal last week, Conway had said the time wasn’t right for him to leave the private sector but maintained that he continues to support the Trump administration.

In subsequent tweets Monday, Conway made clear: “I still VERY, VERY STRONGLY support POTUS, his Admin, policies, the executive order and of course, my wonderful wife.”

That’s why, he continued, “I said what I said this morning. Every sensible lawyer in WHCO and every political appointee at DOJ wd agree with me (as some have already told me). The pt cannot be stressed enough that tweets on legal matters seriously undermine Admin agenda and POTUS–and those who support him, as I do, need to reinforce that pt and not be shy about it.”

Kellyanne Conway earlier Monday had blasted the media for what she called their “obsession with covering everything [Trump] says on Twitter and very little of what he does as president.”

Advertisements